Safety is always the first priority of USA Weightlifting and for the coaching courses, that starts with the facility. The host facility must meet all local fire safety standards. An emergency medical and safety plan for instructors and participants should be on hand.
A representative of the host facility must be available throughout the course. No other events can be held in the same facility during the course unless there is a clear delineation of venues and programs. USAW can work with a wide variety of facility types. The only essentials are:
- Seating and table space for all participants
- A projector and wall/screen
- An open area to safely accommodate all participants during the practical sessions. The same space can be used for both lifting and lecture portions of the course.
For each participant, the host must provide a PVC or dowel and for every three participants the host must provide one Olympic-style weightlifting bar and one pair of light bumper plates (5kg or 10lb). Light or training bars (5-15kg) are helpful though not always essential.
USAW and the host facility collectively decide on the maximum number of participants in a course, which is a function of facility capacity. USAW will send up to 4 instructors to manage larger courses. A course must have a minimum of 8 participants to be held and walk-in course registration cannot be accepted. It is the host’s responsibility to ensure that the minimum numbers are reached. USAW will provide the host with marketing materials to assist in promotion.
- Once a course is completed and fully processed by the National Office, a rebate of $70 per participant will be send to the Facility listed on the course. If you have not completed a W-9 for USAW, please download the W-9 form and submit to Finance.
- Courses must be spaced 2 weeks or 50 miles from each other. Please check the Course Calendar for conflicts before submitting your application.
- Military and International courses are not eligible for a host rebate.
- The host may request a USAW course instructor though she/he is not guaranteed to teach the course. If no instructor is requested, the USAW National Office will assign one.
- Course Coordinators and Instructors will receive notification 1 week prior (Friday) to the course, if they have 7 or less participants and are in jeopardy of being canceled.
- Event organizers may submit one coaching course application request every two weeks. Multiple applications and applications received earlier than the two week spacing will be returned.
- Change requests to the final posted course (dates, site or participant capacity) are rarely granted and will incur a $50 administration fee. Change requests may include, but are not exclusive to, dates, locations, caps, coordinators.